European Union summer quiz
by our secret columnist in Brussels
Schadenfreude sets a summer quiz to test your knowledge of the European Union and the eurozone
Answer spontaneously without Googling.
1. What is the difference between a euro and an écu?
2. Where is Montenegro?
3. What is Coreper 2?
4. Which European Community body was supranational?
5. Where do EU meetings happen in June?
6. What is/was Phare?
7. What is the EEAS?
8. What is the Troika?
9. Where is the seat of the European Central Bank?
10. Who has had a haircut?
11. If GPS is not the Global Positioning System, what is it?
12. What are 'own resources'?
13. What is subsidiarity?
14. What is Justus Lipsius? If you know, who was he?
15. How many zeros are there in a trillion?
We do not give answers: check your own.
One year to save the EU, claim federalists on Europe Day
The failure of political leaders to get to grips with the economic crisis has allowed nationalist forces to gain the ascendency and threaten the European Union's existence, a group promoting a federalist vision of the bloc's future has argues